Find out more about Salon Software
What is Salon Software?
Salon management software is a solution that helps salon owners and independent styling professionals manage their daily business operations. This system automates a range of tasks including appointment booking and scheduling, secure storage of data, customer interactions, appointment confirmations, inventory tracking, staff management, and implementation of marketing campaigns.
Busy salon industry professionals find it difficult to manage multiple customer appointments especially during peak times. They can make use of salon software to easily manage appointments, accommodate requests for new ones, and reschedule existing ones to make their business more efficient and profitable.
Even though a lot of software in our base of products will be universal and you will be able to use them effectively no matter where you are, some local or language restrictions might come into play. On this page you’ll find our list of most popular software that will run perfectly in United States both in terms of language and regional support.
Start by checking our leader Mindbody, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 14 Most Popular Salon Software
Best Salon Software
How To Choose The Best Salon Software
Salon management software helps salon industry professionals to manage appointments, automate routine tasks, and make their business more efficient. So you can benefit a lot by investing in a quality solution. But how do you sort the good tools from the average? To help you, we have prepared this buyer’s guide that details the main features and elements you should look for to do knowledgeable comparisons to select the best salon management software for your needs.
Get to know each product with free trial
An ideal way to start your search for the best salon management software is by signing up for the free trials or demo offered by popular salon software providers. This will help you to gauge the efficacy of each app and understand if it is suitable for your establishment. Visit the websites of these leading platforms to check if they offer a free trial: Vagaro, Rosy Salon Software, Versum, and Salon Ultimate. These programs have been given impressive rankings in our salon software reviews that you can browse to get a general comparison of the products’ features. It’s also worthwhile to consider some alternatives first. For example, check out our article on Top 10 Alternatives to Acuity Scheduling for more information on the popular solutions available on the market.
- Individual professionals and small businesses. These clients normally have basic needs and therefore a solution with appointment management feature should suffice. If they have employees who go out in the field, they should find a system that is mobile-friendly.
- Medium-sized businesses. Growing businesses need to capture, analyze, and segment customer data to create targeted marketing campaigns for customer loyalty. These establishments should look for features that enable them to manage customers and marketing campaigns effectively.
- Large companies. These users need a system that enables them to carry out multiple tasks such as training management, employee attendance tracking, gift card management, POS billing, inventory tracking, and report generation. Large enterprises are advised to opt for a modular salon software solution as it will give them the option to select specific modules for their needs. They are better off with cloud-based systems as these have lower maintenance expenses compared to on-premise platforms.
Examples of Salon Management Software
- Vagaro: A web-based solution for salon and spa owners to book appointments online, manage staff, connect with customers, and promote their business. Vagaro is a B2C platform where salons can create a profile, promote new events, and advertise their brand.
- Rosy Salon Software: A comprehensive suite of scheduling and business tools designed for salons and spas. Prices start at an affordable $29.
- Versum: An easy to use and feature-rich salon management platform. It offers features for employee scheduling, stats and reporting, real-time cash auditing, customer retention and more.
- Salon Ultimate: A hybrid salon software that lets you manage your business from the cloud without sacrificing speed and reliability. Salon owners can create new services for their customers, tweak existing services, and update service details across all their stores.
Types of Salon Management Software
The salon and spa management software category includes the following related programs:
- Salon POS system
- Club management software
- Appointment scheduling software
Key Features of Salon Management Software
Appointment management. You can easily book, reschedule, and follow up on appointments on the fly. Top systems allow you to confirm appointments using SMS text messages.
Staff management. You can track useful employee metrics such as employee availability, employee schedules, and customer satisfaction and retention.
Customer management. You can capture useful customer data to support targeted marketing campaigns. Includes tools that enable you to segment and categorize customers, track customer spend, and gather customer feedback.
Billing and POS processing. You can generate bills and process payments using common methods such as cash, e-wallets, and credit and debit cards. Customers can use a POS (point-of-sale) solution to redeem gift coupons.
Reporting. Customized reports can be generated for tracking employee performance, measuring the effectiveness of marketing campaigns, measuring customer satisfaction by service or stylist categories, and evaluating revenue trends.
Marketing campaigns. Enables you to carry out email and SMS-based marketing campaigns to attract customers to your salon. These campaigns can offer gift coupons, loyalty cards, membership programs, and promotional packages.
Benefits of Salon Management Software
Streamlines appointments. Busy salons find it difficult to manage multiple customer appointments during peak working hours. Because of this they may double-book customers and lose business. Salon software enables you to easily schedule appointments, re-schedule existing ones, and confirm them to your customers to save their as well as your time.
Centralizes customer data. It is important for salons to track customer information in order to create targeted marketing campaigns. Salon software allows them to securely store customer data including contact details, membership information, important dates, loyalty points, service history, and details about gift voucher redemptions. The system can also back up the customer data at selected periods for additional security.
- You can manage upcoming appointments for all your service providers with support for both walk-in customers and scheduled appointments.
- Efficiently manage walk-ins by finding the first available stylist, or customers can select their preferred service professional.
- You can organize customer information and have the ability to check prepaid package balances, view upcoming appointments, upload photos of previous styles, and add notes for customer preferences.
- Manage all employees with detailed performance reports including commission tracking.
- Delegate each appointment to a specific chair or booth for effortless multi-station tracking.
- Retail functionality empowers you to a sell a wide range of products apart from your service offerings.
- Easily track prepaid packages and membership programs using the customer database.
- Remind your customers of upcoming appointments via text or email to avoid missed sessions.
Predictive buying. Most salon software solutions lack advanced analytics capabilities to analyze the customer data collected by establishments. Top vendors are addressing this lacuna by integrating analytics tools in salon management programs to enable salons to study purchasing behavior and predict buying patterns. This can help them to personalize the customer experience and create promotions to improve sales.
Booth rental model. Some salons and spas are renting booths that contain the essential equipment and products to third-party professionals. This business model is a win-win situation for both parties. Booth owners can earn a good income without spending on marketing or training, while styling professionals can get a fully furnished workplace for their business without heavy capital expenditure. Customers also benefit as they can prefer to avail the expertise of their favorite stylist.
Salons need to ensure their employees get adequate training to learn to use salon software effectively. This is especially applicable to new employees. Staff members can refer how-to-guides, training videos, FAQs, and other materials to get the hang of the system. They should understand the full capabilities of the platform to maximize its potential.
Getting carried away
Salon owners can get carried away by the excellent features offered by salon software and may be tempted to send too many marketing emails and text messages to their customers. They should avoid this mistake and exercise care while using the marketing functions. Send marketing emails and SMS messages only to specific groups of customers to attract their attention. This will help you to save money and your customers will not get annoyed by the marketing messages.
List of Salon Software Companies
Originally published on January 19, 2015, updated
Our Score Read More
Our website utilizes our innovative SmartScore™ system to examine all the services in the Salon Software category so that we can help you pick the best possible software. It evaluates the following aspects: core functionalities, collaboration features, custom elements, integration, ease of use, customer support, how secure a software is, support for smartphones and tablets, general media ratings. At the moment, Mindbody is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. Following thorough testing it had the best results among its competitors and our experts strongly suggest that you include it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A summary of general user satisfaction with the software in our Salon Software category based on our unique algorythm that collects customer reviews, comments and opinions across a broad set of social media sites in order to help you make an educated investment choice.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Salon Software category will offer a different set of pricing plans for its service and each plan will include a varied set of features. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest package offered for each product. Please note that advanced features may have an extra cost.
Devices Supported Read More
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by the listed B2B solutions in the Salon Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Find out which languages and countries are served by the best B2B solutions in the Salon Software category, including solutions aimed at international markets and created for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Learn what pricing packages are offered by the vendors in the Salon Software category to check which one matches your business preferences and expenses best. Keep in mind that certain solutions can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An analysis of what types of clients a given B2B software in the Salon Software category provides for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what types of service deployement are supported by each B2B vendor in the Salon Software category. Even though almost all modern SaaS services are cloud-hosted there are solutions may offer an on-site deployment model as well.
Post by Alex Hillsberg